As mentioned previously this was the week that Moonwatcher51 came to visit for a few days. My intrepid friend, the Road Warrior as I call her, is a traveller. The original ’a rolling stone gathers no moss’ idea.
And she does it alone, accompanied by her trusty companion Rizzo, who is about the most perfect dog I have ever met. Quiet, pleasant minded. I guess that description applies to both of them. Laid back and at the same time accomplishing amazing things.
Okay so what did I learn?
- When your Keurig dies the day she is to arrive, it is possible to make a passable cup of coffee with fine grind in a French Press. (I wasn’t sure of the amount of coffee to water, but if it was a problem, my guest was too polite to say so.
- Even when it has been years since last visits (another friend who had been part of the old gang came for lunch on Tuesday) it was like no time had passed at all. We sat and laughed now as then and the hours flew.
- I am bossy. Living alone I didn’t realize until I thought about it later, and no she would never mention it but a couple of times I thought – Chris you are being bossy. I mean I didn’t tell her what to do – but it was small responses. I’m not sure she noticed being so laid back but I did. Oh, and I didn’t do it a lot, just a couple of times I think. Honest. Maybe the word is not bossy but fussy.
- I found the idea of a canine roomie rather attractive. But I also realized I might not end up with the perfection that is Miss Rizzo.
- Even though it was only 3 nights and four days when that guest leaves her absence is noticed. And she is missed. Oh sorry Rizzo – they are missed.
MW51 lives in Mexico, a stone’s throw from the beach, during the Canadian winters, where she has beautiful home and this year put in a swimming pool.
When she is home to Manitoba by April she gets ready to travel our highways and byways, usually by camper van, heading to the west coast one summer, then the east coast the next, stopping along the way to visit friends and family. I am in the east coast corridor. She was on her way back from Nova Scotia, when she landed here Monday. Thursday morning she and Rizzo were back on the road and headed to Manitoba.
Back in 2015 I wrote the words below for her. We are Gemini and our birthdays are 2 days apart. -June 6th and 8th. And while this is not where I planned this post to go – it does seem fitting.
This modern term for Best Friends Forever is not one of my favorites. First of all it is so commonly used one gets a little weary from hearing it so much. Secondly it smacks a bit of desperation as though the declaration itself will make it true. At least that is how it seems. I must concede though that it is said to denote sincerity and a promise – sincere declaration.
In days gone by the term best friend, dear friend, soul mate, may have been used.
*Someone may be your best friend, but you may not be theirs and that is okay. Unlike some commitments there is no reciprocation necessary.
*You can have more than one best friend I think which decries the use of the word best, but there it is. In that case I guess the term would be ‘one of my best friends’.
*A best friend is someone you respect.
*A best friend is someone who can see the worst of you knows your darkest side and still love you and accept you.
*A best friend supports you even when you make stupid decisions.
*A best friend comforts you when the consequences of said stupid decision comes to roost and never, well almost never, says ‘I told you so”
*Distance has no effect on best friend status. The world is a much smaller place now and thanks to Skype and other media contact is not far away.
*Long periods of time can pass but when the connection is made it is as if no time has passed at all.
When I met my best friend eighteen years ago ** now 25 years ago*we had engaged initially in a social conversation. During that conversation I clearly heard the words in my mind; I want this girl in my life. And she has been. She travels the world. I do not. She has a gypsy nature, I do not. She is adventurous, I am not. Lest this seem like a lot of ‘nots’, it is in truth of little consequence. She is more thoughtful than I, and stronger and kinder. Perhaps that is our link. She is the better person I strive to be.
I have no idea what makes a soul connection exist. It just does. It cannot be made or constructed, or planned. It is something that exists or it does not. Gender has no influence. It is beyond our ken and a gift, that if we accept it, it can only enrich our existence regardless of extraneous factors.
I am always amazed at the friends I have who really seem to like me. As I am. And right or wrong I can depend on them. As they can on me.
That’s it from North of 43 and I wish you peace.